Influencer marketing has exploded as a high reach communication tool that helps companies and brands connect with their audiences via content from influential individuals.
A report from e-commerce company found that user-generated content delivers nearly four times more engagement than brand-produced advertising material.
So, how do you engage an influencer and why? Here are a few simple steps to begin the process:
- Research influencer who are a “good fit” with your company or product based on their lifestyle, background, profession or personal interests
- Use online tools, such as the once-populate Klout Score, to validate potential influencers’ followings or rankings, but use your own research as the basis for developing your influencer list
- Follow any potential influencers on social media to get a feel for their content, followers and cadence
- Connect with the influencers via DM or email to engage in an initial discussion about a partnership that is mutually beneficially
- Engage a variety of influencers with diverse backgrounds, followers and stats
- Discuss and establish a content plan and metrics
- Re-post, re-purpose and leverage content from your influencers and engage in a two-way relationship in which you are sharing content about them with your audience that is unique and engaging
Influencer marketing works because influencers are relatable, authentic and provide a sense of credibility for their partners. Keeping these values at the forefront of any influencer program and making it a win-win situation for both the influencer and the company will help get you started in the right direction.